Sunday, January 23, 2011

January 23, 2011

Crossfit WOD:

For time:

21 pull-ups (rather than L-pullups)
20 One legged squats to bench, alternating legs (rather than full pistols)
18 pull-ups
16 One legged squats
15 pull-ups
12 One legged squats
12 pull-ups
8 One legged squats

Time: 10:45

From the Huffington Post, a very interesting article on "flow" and happiness

Long crossfit workouts (like the "hero" workouts) where there is a constant shift from being in a state of discomfort and pushing yourself to feeling the "flow" of successfully completing a round of an arduous exercise is when I am completely "in the moment" and not thinking about anything else.

Kayaking the Upper Yough is also such an experience: weaving in and out of eddies, nailing the perfect boof and seamlessly carving into a turn, sizing up the next move, and focusing - yet not focusing - on what is coming up next.

5 exercises in Crossfit I can't do very well, and need to work on, with a slight order of importance:

1) Squat snatch and squat cleans - need to get the balance and motion down using heavier weights
2) Double unders - I can't get the coordination down yet
3) Kipping pullups - I can't get the rhythm down yet
4) Handstand pullups - I may never be able to do these, based on the shoulder issues I have on the left side
5) Thrusters - I have a hard time transitioning the grip on the bar from the front squat movement into the push-press movement, especially when trying to keep my elbows up and the weight on my shoulders during the front squat, as opposed to my arms bearing the brunt of the weight.

No comments: